Saturday, September 13, 2014

Shadowrun Websites

{Author's Note:  This is one of my Shadowrun Rants. This is seriously dated, I was talking about websites from the late 90's and early 2000's.  At the time I was an AOL (America Online) user.  Things have changed dramatically since then.}


Well Folks this rant is the result of a recent chat in the AOL GIX section.  A few of us were discussing the quality of Shadowrun Websites on the Internet.  Many are great resources for the game, but there are a quite a few that in my opinion are not worth it.  It seems as though too many of them regurgitate the same stuff.  My main problems with Shadowrun websites are that too many are reprints of stuff that exists on other pages, too many are all graphics and no substance, and finally too many seem to put out the same kind of stuff: spells, guns, equipment, PCs and NPCs.

First the reprints, too many sites reprint or plagiarize content from another sites.  Folks please be original and if you do borrow something, credit the original.  There is a site online that used one of my totems and credited me.  I am glad; it is nice to know people like my stuff enough to use it.  When done like that I see it as borrowing and no problem.  Using something of mine or someone else’s and not crediting them, I see as outright theft.  On my site a few totems are based on other peoples work.  I have changed a few things, but I still credit the original folks.  As to those who mirror what is on another page with permission it is fine, but I would still like to see more original work.

Second the flash but no substance sites, come on folks enough.  There are too many non-Shadowrun sites like this.  One problem in this area is an incomplete site that includes all that the owners wishes to do, but has not gotten around to doing.  When I posted my site, I had tons of stuff ready.  I only posted links that were active, not ones I had planned to have.  Folks, before you post a site try to have a good number of stuff ready.  I have seen too many sites that are just a list of what the author intends to do.  Graphics are great, but they are just window dressing.  The meat of the matter is the source material.

Finally the same old stuff, too many sites post spells guns, equipment, and Characters (PCs and/or NPCs).  Not that I do not like these things, but too many sites are just only that.  Folks be creative.  There are things you can do that are fun.  I posted gangs, Rocker Bands, articles and anything I can think of.  Heck, at one point I was tempted to do a Ultimate Fighting type Federation with Pro-Wrestling type gimmicks.  I still may do it.  Heck someone could update the Professional Sports teams listed in the Shadowbeat Sourcebook (some teams have moved since the book and new teams have been added all together).  What I am trying to say is we need more stuff that is off the wall and interesting on Shadowrun Websites. 

I am by no means saying all Shadowrun sites are like what I am ranting about, but about forty to fifty percent are.  I have seen many good ideas, not all of them will I use or did I like.  However I liked the creativity and that the author was trying to do something new.  So those who are being innovative and having fun, more power to you.  Those who are putting out the same old stuff, try something new and let you imagination and weirdness run rampant.

Well once again is My Not So Humble Opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment